Sunday, March 14, 2010

Gramma Richter's Family Borscht

I was eating borscht for lunch at work not long ago and due to the yummy smell of my lunch found myself fielding some questions about this yummy Eastern European soup. There are as many kinds of borscht as there are grandmothers who make it, pretty much; the main thing that they all have in common is that they are sour.

Most people equate borscht with beets, but it does not always have beets in it; there is green borscht, white borscht, and orange borscht as well. Borscht can have chunks in it or be a pureed soup; it can be vegetarian or full of beef or lamb or even chicken; it can be eaten hot or cold.

This recipe that I'm going to share here with you is my Great-Grandmother's recipe for white borscht that my dad shared with me.

Richter Borscht

Chop into cubes & sauté in a pot:
  • with 1 Tbsp butter (optional: replace butter with 3 rashers of bacon, minced finely)
  • 2 potatoes
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 stalks of celery

Add:
  • 2 quarts chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup precooked or leftover rice
  • 3 green onions minced
  • handful of beet leaves cut into strips (or other greens, I like spinach)
  • 1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
Simmer until vegetables are tender.

Then add:
  • 1 tsp fresh minced dill
  • 1/2 cup cream with one beaten egg mixed in
Bring to simmer again and then drizzle in:
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
Heat to a simmer and then serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment