Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lazy Biscuits

Much as I like homemade food, sometimes I really crave instant gratification. These biscuits are totally homemade but are quick enough to make that I'd consider them to be as instant as I get in the kitchen. They're based on a recipe from my 1963 Good Housekeeping Cookbook, which is a really good reference book for all those archaic things that you might want to know how to make. For some reason I'm delighted by all the instructions for making fancy tea party sandwiches; apparently I didn't have enough tea parties when I was a child. (yes mom, I'm blaming you). When I make these for company, I use the biscuit cutter that my sister made for me when she was in eighth grade metal shop. It always makes them better!

Lazy Biscuits


Pre-heat oven to 450F

Mix together in a bowl with a whisk:
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt

In a 2 cup glass measuring cup combine:
  • 2/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 1/3 cups milk
Pour all the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir it up with a wooden spoon, then your hands, as it gets stickier.

Dust the counter generously with flour and dump the dough out onto it; pat it out to about an inch thick, adding more flour as necessary.

You can cut out biscuits with a cutter if you like but I prefer to cut it into squares with a knife. No one cares if they're pretty unless they're for company.

Bake for about ten minutes or until golden brown on top.

Optional:
  • add 1/4 cup of sugar and cut out with a generously sized biscuit cutter for shortbreads
  • add minced herbs and serve with stew

No comments:

Post a Comment